Rising from the prairie in southwestern Logan County is a natural landmark known as Lone Butte. The towering landmark can be seen from miles around. In fact, Lone Butte was used as a marker for centuries by the Native Americans, hunters, soldiers, and cowboys to locate their trails. Lone Butte rests on the south side of Twin Butte Creek, named for two sister buttes located further west, at an elevation of just over 3000 ft. above sea level.
In April of 1875, a detachment of 6th U.S. Cavalry, consisting of 44 troopers and 2 supply wagons, led by Lt. Austin Henely, left Ft. Wallace, traveling southwest in pursuit of a band of Cheyenne headed north from Oklahoma Territory. At Lone Butte, they halted to water and rest their horses. The cavalry unit then proceeded east and then north in search of the Cheyenne and discovered their trail just east of Lone Butte.
Cheyenne leader Little Bull and his immediate followers eventually elected to rest further to the north on Sappa Creek setting up camp with twelve lodges and their horse herd. Scouts of the 6th Cavalry eventually located the camp and Lt.Henely, along with his troopers, surprised Little Bull‘s band in the early morning hours of April 23, 1875, and a battle ensued.